How-To: GX470 CV Axle Swap
At some point you might have to swap out your old CV axles due to damage from the trail or just normal wear. You can either pay a shop to do it, which is easier, but more costly or you can do it yourself.
If you prefer the second option, but have some hesitation because you have not done it before, hopefully this "How-To" article will provide some insight and make your fix easier!
Even though this article is specific to a Lexus GX470, the process is very similar on other makes and/or models. We had access to a vehicle lift while doing our axle swap, but this can also be done in the driveway or on a trail, it just might require a few extra four letter words.
* Most of the example pictures are from the driver side, but the process is the same regardless of which side you are working on.
1) Remove tire
2) Remove dust cover
3) Remove the cotter pin, cap, and axle nut
*35mm socket for axle nut
4) Remove brake rotor and brake caliper
5) Remove cotter pin, castle nut, and outer tie rod end
6) Remove bottom bolts from spindle
7) Remove axle from spindle and axle housing
8) Replace seals on spindle and axle housing
9) Insert new CV axle using caution not to rip the rubber boots
10) Replace everything in reverse order and add gear oil
*Front axle nut torque is 173 ft. lbs.
*Wheel lug nut torque is 83 ft. lbs.
Thank you for reading this article. We hope you found it entertaining. If so, please share it with others and don't forget to leave a comment down below!
The world is a large place, and life is short. Together, we can accomplish much more than we ever could alone.
Thank you for posting this. Extremely helpful. About to do it myself!
Very welcome! We are glad you found it helpful.
You are very welcome! Thank you for the kind words and for checking our website out.
Do you have the part numbers you used for the front diff seal as well as the seal that goes into the hub? Thank you in advance.
Leave a Reply.
Baker and Ashlie are the owners of Bourn Adventure and together they author the majority of the articles and content found here.